Old June 12th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Prednisolone for cats - can I fill a prescription in a pharmacy?

Candace wrote:

wrote:

Does the human formulation of Prednisolone really differ from the vet
formula? I thought that 5mg of a drug is the same regardless of

whether
it's for a human or an animal.

I would say yes. I think the main reason vets want you to buy meds
from them is so they can get the mark up. I've had vets give me
scripts when they didn't have the particular drug needed in stock. And
I have often gotten liquid antibiotics intended for human children from
the drugstore pharmacy for my cats. The vet probably won't want to
write the script if he has it in stock and they all have prednisolone
in stock.

A friend's dog required a daily thyroid tablet, and she had
a prescription from a regular pharmacy. (Although the
pharmacist may have wondered about a human named "Rascal
Parker").

It varies by state, but some state pharmacy rules dictate variously that a
prescription for a cat will have a middle initial of C or F, or actually
spell out the species.

Oral corticosteroids should be therapeutically equivalent in cats and
humans, with the appropriate dose adjustments -- although cats seem to be
able to take what would be huge doses referenced to body weight.
Antibiotics also generally seem compatible.

I would be cautious in anything that affects the nervous system. Opioids,
for example, generally don't stop pain in cats and may cause wild
excitation. Still, certain drigs are usable in the controlled context of an
operating room.