Old July 22nd 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default Cat snack AKA Hummingbirds

No, none of mine have eaten one. I just think of them as a snack
because they're so tiny. Very interesting birds.

In addition to loving cats, I am a bird watcher. I used to have a
hummingbird feeder years ago, but I was put off by the ants they
attract. The bees are no problem; hummingbirds predate on bees
invading their feeding territory. They crush them in their tiny
pointed beaks and drop them to the ground.

I put out a new "bee-proof" feeder and within a day the hummers
found it. I clean it and change the syrup every few days, so there
are many hummers that come visit. The ants discovered it, so I put
diamateous earth on the hanger and the deck rails and posts. The
ants have departed. I never knew what sound hummers make. Now I
know. At least the ruby throated that are common here. I can just
imagine what it must be like in Texas or other southern/western
states with lots of species of hummingbirds.

The first morning I started seeing them I think there was a baby.
It was perched on top of the feeder flapping its wings at another
that was hovering, just like other baby birds flap and call when
mom or dad is near. That one has stuck around (I can tell because
it is the only one that perches at the feeder rather than hovers
when feeding). This one is a male, and has developed a glorious
ruby colored throat, but there is a female that comes often, too.
Maybe its mother. When I first put out the feeder, there were
others, but they're very territorial, and there were fights and
chasing.

I just read that they start migrating back to the mountains in
Mexico from July through September, so I won't be seeing them for
much longer. I've so enjoyed them. The hummers at my house aren't
accustomed to people, so I haven't been able to photograph any yet.
The ones at my parents house are so used to people that they will
hover over your clothes if you're wearing something red or yellow.
My dad has sent me fantastic pictures.

--
Cheryl