Old June 16th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Integrating the new kitties

On Jun 15, 11:17 pm, Takayuki wrote:
I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on integrating these two. They
didn't seem to be fighting, but when they meet, what usually happens
is that Dot will hiss and growl, Buster will try to get a little
closer and lie down, and eventually there will be a commotion with Dot
running to a hiding spot, and Buster chasing her. After Dot finds her
new hiding spot, Buster will lose interest, and Dot will just stay
there all big eyed and unhappy. Dot is such a social and needy cat,
it really pains me to see her hiding!

So I finally decided to separate them, based on what I've seen so far,
and some advice I got from Megan (zuzu). Dot is in my downstairs
den/bedroom, and Buster has the run of most of the rest of the
downstairs, including the living room and kitchen. Most of the other
rooms are closed off. I'm planning on switching them periodically.

But obviously I don't want to keep them completely separated forever,
as then there won't be any progress, and I so want them to at least
tolerate each other!

I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

Don't worry about them--they'll adjust to each other. I think
separating them now is
good, simply because Buster is chasing Dot. You don't want her to feel
terrorized.
Just remember internet "advice" is good--but
you're *there*, and you have a much better feel how things are going
between them. There is no
timeline--cats are all different. Dot will learn to tolerate Buster
better, and stop running, and then
he'll stop chasing her! :-)
You already have a very definite analyisis of their personalities!
You'll know when they're ready to
be friends.

Sherry