Old January 13th 09, 10:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

"SMS" wrote in message
James wrote:
Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

I volunteered for a cat rescue group, and we buy mass quantities of cat
food, and did extensive evaluations of the nutritional content, ash
levels, etc. of many of the dry foods, including the so-called premium
foods like Science Diet.

The Kirkland dry cat food from Costco was not only one of the least
expensive foods, it was one of the best ones. For the cats with medical
issues we sometimes had to buy special foods from the vet, but this was
rare.

Obviously price is a factor for rescue organizations, but dry cat food is
very high carb and should only be fed to cats occasionally as a treat. My
spoiled indoor cats love it, but the three of them only get one tiny bowl
once a week, or else they gain weight. My vet says that the only carbs cats
need can be found in the stomach of a mouse. The mouse-carbs are probably
why my furballs are good indoor mousers!