Old January 4th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

Default Istanbul cats

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 23:50:25 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

Just back from ten days in Istanbul, which is near to being the cat
capital of the planet. I've been visiting Turkey for 25 years. When
I first went, there were many cats in very poor condition: matted fur,
obvious flea infestation, sometimes malnourished. Over the last few
years they've improved enormously. Some random portraits:

SNIP

Sounds like a very fun trip!

However, seeing so many homeless cats, even if they are relatively
healthy, would make me very, very sad.

They may lead a relatively decent life (enough food, etc.) but you know
they don't have a human to love and spoil them.

And I doubt they get any vet care, so their lives will not be very long
:-(

It sounds like *somebody* may be doing something to control their
numbers. Sadly, I doubt it's trap neuter and release....

Istanbul is, unfortunately, a city in the third world, despite it's
having been the capital of both the Byzantine *and* Ottoman Empires,
IIRC.

Fun fact: Istanbul has had 3 names: the current name, Istanbul.

Before that, it was called Constantinople, after the conquering (sp?)
Emperor Constantine.

Before that, it was called Byzantium. Sorry, I don't know the dates.

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha