Old May 19th 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Ping Phil: Cats and fasting

WILLIAM HOLDEN wrote:

: Seriously though, do you know if there is a web reference to the study you
: cited?

No but I paid attention to it and can tell you the essense, The study
was extremely misleading.

Suppose you buy a machine, but never use it, just do minimal
maintenance. Then it will "last longer" because there is no wear and
tear. But that defeats the purpose, usually we talk about a long
lasting machine we mena to be able to *use* it longer.

Similarly, our bodies are machines too. If you don't really live (no
work, no emotions, no sex, no enjoyment), just vegetate with minimal
maintenace of survival functions, then you too can last longer. That's
what they found. If you cut down calories so much that the body is in
maintenance survival mode but doesn't have energy to do anything that
will cause any "wear and tear", then the body will last longer,
essentially as a vegetable. But is that any life, for you or your pet?
I'd rather we live normal lives and go when God calls us.