Old November 6th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Mickie Swall

Default Cat left in house after tenant eviction

Recently a cat was shot through the hips with an arrow, in one side
and half way out the other. The cat died during surgery, now they are
looking for the hunter so they can prosecute or arrest or fine for cruelty to
animals or whatever. Guess the rules change when they find something
like this that is sensationally newsworthy.
Threre is one place I found that will take the cat, but we will have to
give them $50 first. That fee is to cover the vet (which is the first stop
before they take the cat home) and also care until they can find a new
home for it. I was told that their cats are not caged and have the run of
their home. I guess that is worth it to know it will not be killed, just irks
me that the tenants get away with paying nothing. The cat is currently
living/hiding in the ductwork of the vacant house. I opened one of the
floor vents to give it another exit only to find it full of feeces. Ick.

"kraut" wrote in message

I'm trying to find out if there are any laws regarding abandonment of a
cat by tenants that were evicted from the house. I called the Humane
Society, as well as about 10 different rescue places, all with excuses
that they don't want or can't take cats. Aren't there laws to fine the
people who abandon animals? I hear from time to time about people
leaving dogs in homes with no food or water, and they alway want to
find the people who left them there. Why not cats? I live in Western
Pennsylvania, and would appreciate knowing who to call and what to do.
Thank you!
Mickie

I had a neighbor this past summer that defaulted on a house loan that
left behind 4 cats when they moved because they could not have cats
where they moved. They were left outdoors and eventually I live
trapped them all and found places for them.

The thing that got me most was that when I went to the local animal
control they would do nothing about it even though I gave them the
address where the cats were and the address where the people moved.
All they said was I could trap them if they casme on my place!!

It is like because they are cats people think they can care for
themselve even if they were housecats (Which these were) and are
suddenly left to fend for themselves outside!!