Old March 30th 04, 06:38 PM
David Yehudah

Actually, you should feel honored that she has so much respect for you.
I have heard people rather sternly rebuffed for using the familiar form
of address. I've done it myself when I thought someone was being
deliberately offensive.

wrote:

David Yehudah wrote:

I doubt she is offended. She's probably tickled to death you make the
effort, and they do cut a bit of slack for gabachos.

Well, that's a good point. We probably can't be expected to understand
the rules as well as a native speaker.

A lot depends on where she's from.

Guadalajara. I'm not sure where in Mexico that is (duh).

In most parts of Mexico the informal
"tu" is okay unless there is a great disparity in social level or age.

I think age was the main issue. She's an adult, but just barely, and
about half my age. I guess I'm a respectable older lady to her, worthy
of formal address. The very thought makes me chuckle - if only she knew.
I'm a Baby Boomer who still hasn't figured out what to do when I grow up.

Joyce