Old August 19th 04, 08:34 PM
jamie

Here are some links for you on testing your cat, including movies
and photos, and some other feline diabetes links.

LeMieux gets a little bit annoyed at having his ear held and warmed
before the test, but has never seemed to notice being pricked by an
UtraFine lancet. The first thing you'll want to do is get a good
look at your cat's ears to familiarize yourself with where the vein
runs around the edge, shining a small flashlight through the ear if
he has dark fur or you can't see it on the inside.

At first, I rubbed a little dab of Vaseline into his ear to help the
blood bead up above the fur, but I seemed to get the knack of hitting
close to or on the little vein pretty quickly, and didn't need the
Vaseline because he easily bled a drop about twice as large as needed
for the test.

Home Testing of Blood Glucose for Diabetic Cats
By Margie Scherk DVM, ABVP
(home testing movie, Windows Media or Realplayer)
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/con...&S=O&C=O&A=605

Harry's Home Testing Page - (good close-up photos)
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm

Punkin's Home Testing Movie -
http://tlb.best.vwh.net/bg_punkin/test_bg.html

VSPN discussion on Home Testing -
http://www.vspn.org/Library/Rounds/VSPN_LC011209.htm

DVM the Newsmagazine of Veterinary Medicine
At Home Diabetes Management -
http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=13315

Blood Glucose Monitoring -
http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...il.jsp?id=5336