Old September 22nd 03, 04:05 AM
susan chen

Yes, I had a kitty that rarely mewed--and when she did it was a
hoarse croaky sound. She was just a pound pussy, Siamese mix.
very affectionate, purred loud and long

I read once, that meowing is an attempt to "talk" to humans.. . .
That cats don't meow to one another as a form of communication.

William Hamblen wrote:
In article , Marek Williams wrote:

Has anyone ever run into a cat that never meows?

I had a cat that hardly ever mewed. He would tune up when he was in
distress, as when he was in his carrier for a trip to the vet. Then he
sounded like a case of cat abuse. Otherwise, not a peep. When he wanted
something he would sit and stare at you. Long hair breeds tend to be
quieter than short hair breeds. Some kinds of cats like the Chartreaux
cat have the reputation of not "talking."