Old July 2nd 03, 03:45 AM
Sandra Loosemore

(Sara) writes:

I'm trying to acclimate my two cats to carriers in preparation for a
trip that will take 7-8 hours, sometime this autumn. The girls have
separate carriers. The smaller kitty will be in the intermediate size
Kennel Cab and the bigger one will be in a large carrier of the same
brand.

Since I will be traveling alone in a compact car with the kitties, I
don't think it would be a good idea to let them out of the carriers at
rest stops to use a litter box on the car floor. So I am trying to
come up with ways to handle the elimination problem.

When I was a kid, my folks used to take our cats in the car to and
from our summer home about an 8-10 hour drive away. They were always
able to "hold it" for the entire trip, whether they were crated or
not, and we never provided a box for them. I think car travel is
generally kind of stressful and disorienting to cats, and they prefer
to wait until they get to more normal surroundings (that don't move!)
to do their stuff. They will probably be happier if you just get
them to their destination as quickly as possible instead of making
rest stops and trying to convince them to use a box then.

BTW, I wouldn't want to be shut up in a compact car for 7-8 hours with
a "used" litter box anyway. Phew. :-P And if it was in the crate
with the cat, how would you clean it without letting the cat out?

-Sandra