Old November 24th 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default still straining in litterbox

Hi,

I picked up Elwood yesterday from the vet. They said he urinated on
his own, but was still straining so they prescibed him Valium to help
with the pain.
He is eating & drinking but still having a hard time in the box. He
goes in and makes a grunting sound, and very small amounts of urine
come out. I can tell it is starting to get to him, and I really don't
want him to stress himself out and get a block again.

Is this to be expected during recovery?
Is it normal to prescribe Vlium for this?
He is also on an antibiotic, and an optional appetite stimulant.