Old November 17th 03, 03:18 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
I'm the one who has considered bringing in a stray, and did not want
to declaw her.

Before I commit to letting her in full time, I've been letting her in
for short periods (an hour or so), supervised.

I bought a sisal scratching post, and one of those cardboard
horizontal scratching pads.

When she comes in, she goes straight for my recliner and starts
scratching it.

Get a post closer to the material of the recliner. Make the recliner
uninviting by putting StickyPaws on it and spraying it with a citrus-
scented air freshener.
If she likes catnip, put some on the post.

The post must be more inviting than the chair. If she likes the chair,
she likes that material and/or that location.
Also, place the post very near the chair. Move the chair if you have to,
to see if it is the location she actually likes, not the chair.

I gently pick her up and set her next to the post.

Do you praise her and play with her next to it and on it?
If she likes string, play with some on the post, running the string over
it so she grabs it and her claws dog in the post. Praise and treat.

She hasn't used it once.

Place her paws on the post if she doesn't mind her paws touched. Praise,
pet, and treat.

--
~kaeli~
In democracy your vote counts. In feudalism your count votes.