Old August 29th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default (OT) Argiope Spider

On Aug 29, 8:26*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Remember that big spider I saw by the patio door? *It's an Argiope (aka
"writing spider"*). *I went out back to strain the glass "pebbles" in the
solar copper fountain and put in fresh clear water. *I went over to the
spigot to fill the fountain and saw another spider on the back window. *So,
now there are two very large yellow and black Argiope spiders out back.

*John keeps asking me if the spider has written my name in its web yet.
Apparently there's a myth or legend associated with them. *If they write
your name in the web it means you're going to die or something silly like
that. *Hey, as long as they keep eating the mosquitoes and those annoying
gnats they can write the complete works of Shakespeare for all I care. G

OB Cats: *Persia is still very much enjoying her 'Cat TV'. *The chickadees
are having a field day zooming in and out, as are the tufted titmice and a
pair of cardinals have become "regulars". *The occasional blue jay drops by.
Persia has a lot of fun watching and chattering at the birds all day long

Jill

Oh, I love those spiders. Aren't they beautiful (well, as far as
spiders go, anyway).
We *always* have one under the eave on the front porch, but not this
year.
She will get bigger, and bigger, and later in the fall will produce a
big egg sac.
It's always kind of sad when cold weather gets close and they die. She
will
be really fascinating to watch. (you probably already know they're not
poisonous, and
you're right about the mosquitos and flies)
I kind of miss having one this year. I can't imagine why we don't.
There's been one
in the same spot for at least ten years.

Sherry