Old August 31st 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Argiope Spider

"Kreisleriana" drtmuirATearthlink.net wrote in message
m...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Remember that big spider I saw by the patio door? It's an Argiope (aka
"writing spider"*). I went out back to strain the glass "pebbles" in the
solar copper fountain and put in fresh clear water. I went over to the
spigot to fill the fountain and saw another spider on the back window.
So, now there are two very large yellow and black Argiope spiders out
back.

The big black and yellow ones are females. The males are smaller and less
interesting looking.

Turnabout is fair play! In nature the male critters are usually the more
colourful pretty ones! These are definitely females.

Jill