Old December 28th 03, 01:10 AM
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Just doing a little homework ahead of time and I had posted in amv about
antihistamine use in cats. I am so hesitant to keep getting him steroid
shots since there is FeLV in the house and steroids lower the immune
system. Not sure if antihistamines do, but the vet said they were worth
trying. A couple of vets said antihistamines may actually be a good thing
to try. Shamrocks vet said it couldn't hurt. His old vet didn't want to
try it because they would make him drowsy. Anyone else use these for skin
problems where you can't find the cause or the allergen?

BRAND NAME: CLOR-TRIMETON

AVAILABLE IN
2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg & 12 mg
TABLETS AS WELL AS
ORAL SYRUP AND INJECTABLE

Cheryl,

I have never used chlortrimeton for cats, but at one time I used it for
myself. I discontinued it because it made me very drowsy, and I also
frequently had very dry mouth while I was using it (both side effects that
are described in your note) and extremely dry nasal passages. I didn't have
any other problems. Bitterness was not a problem because it was in pill
form.

MaryL