Old December 28th 03, 01:36 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Just doing a little homework ahead of time and I had posted in amv about
antihistamine use in cats. I am so hesitant to keep getting him steroid
shots since there is FeLV in the house and steroids lower the immune
system. Not sure if antihistamines do, but the vet said they were worth
trying. A couple of vets said antihistamines may actually be a good thing
to try. Shamrocks vet said it couldn't hurt. His old vet didn't want to
try it because they would make him drowsy. Anyone else use these for skin
problems where you can't find the cause or the allergen?

BRAND NAME: CLOR-TRIMETON

snip

Would a human anecdote be OK? My mother uses Chlortripolon (same active
ingredient as Clortrimeton) to help control hives she gets from
formerly-undiagnosed food allergies (she took it for years before being
diagnosed with food allergies, and still takes it now that she knows what
her allergies are). It works to control her itching and help the hives go
away more quickly. However, he can't take it during the day because it
makes her very groggy so she takes them only at night. And even then she
wakes up very heavy-headed in the morning (does that make sense?). Second
generation antihistamines like Allegra don't have that side-effect but they
don't work as well for her. Would you be able to try a second generation
antihistamine first, or are those really bad for cats? I would prefer to
use one of those first, and then if it doesn't work try the Clortrimeton.
But if a second generation one is not possible, and since vets have said it
would be OK, then there's no harm in at least trying the Clortrimeton.

rona