Old June 12th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]

Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

"FragSinatra" wrote in message
. ..
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

I stumbled on a way of handling mats that no one here has mentioned. There
may be some reason why this is a bad idea but I swear this works very well
for me.

I simply pull the mat out with my fingers. I get a firm grip on it while the
cat is lying, sitting or standing still and pull it slowly but firmly until
it is separated from the cat. Bebop does not cry or scratch or fight me in
any way when I do this. I find this approach very simple.

I once inadvertently cut a quarter-sized hole in his skin when trying to cut
a mat out. He didn't cry or fuss about that either but I was astonished how
long it took that hole to heal. I didn't see a scab begin to form for almost
three weeks; I really wondered if it was ever going to heal. It eventually
scabbed over and the fur grew back so that you can't see where it happened
but it took a long time.

--
Rhino