Old September 26th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default (OT) Angel Food Ministries Part 2

"MLB" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
We drove over to the Lutheran church to pick up the food I from Angel
Food Ministries. I cannot believe everything I got for $30! The
September "menu" consisted of three very nice looking 8-oz. ribeye
steaks; a package of chicken breast halves; a bag of chicken thighs; four
good sized pork chops; a package of turkey burgers; a pound of ground
beef; fresh frozen green beans; frozen sweet potatoes; a bag of russet
potatoes; a dozen eggs; a half gallon of 2% milk; a can of frozen orange
juice concentrate. You couldn't walk out of a grocery store with all
this food at that price.

It's too bad the web site doesn't mention you should bring your own box
or a cooler. Maybe it's different in different locations. (They had an
empty box for us, thank goodness.) It worked like an assembly line. We
slid the box box down this line of folding tables. Depending on the
sticker they give you when you check in, the volunteers each put
something in your box. One volunteer said, "It's like cafeteria style
dining, except everything is uncooked and frozen". An apt description!

If this service is available in your area I seriously suggest you take
advantage of it. It's available to anyone. The October menu is he

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0910en2.asp

There's a place on the site to search to see if you can order and pick up
in your area. The only caveat is they have very specific pickup times.

I'll definitely be doing this again. I still can't get over how much
food I got for $30. If I order one of the October boxes I won't have to
shop for the next 6 months! LOL

Jill

I thought this type of charity was for people "in need".
A number of years ago two neighbors stopped me and each had a block (about
2 lb) of cheese which they had obtained because they were "elderly" They
were millionaires! They suggested I go get some because it was free and
you only had to be "elderly" I told them I was still capable of buying my
own. Incidentally, the drive was called off because too many people like
them had taken advantage of the giveaway.

Most of the food "giveaway" programs are intended for people with limited
financial resources. I donate to some of those organizations, and I
consider it an abuse when people take advantage when they don't need it.
However, Angel Food Ministries seems to be the exception. We have one in our
town. I have never used it, but it seems to be intended for "everyone,"
almost like a co-op. In fact, the FAQ says there are no applications or
qualifications. Here is the FAQ:
http://www.angelfoodministries.com/a..._questions.asp

MaryL