Old October 25th 05, 06:31 PM
Yoj

Default Hooray Rome!

Those are excellent laws, but I wonder how they expect to enforce the
goldfish bowl and dog-walking ones.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

"CatNipped" wrote in message
ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- The city of Rome has banned goldfish bowls, which
animal rights activists say are cruel, and has made regular dog-walks
mandatory in the Italian capital, the town's council said on Tuesday.

The classic spherical fish bowls are banned under a new by-law which also
stops fish or other animals being given away as fairground prizes. It

comes
after a national law was passed to allow jail sentences for people who
abandon cats or dogs.

"It's good to do whatever we can for our animals who in exchange for a
little love fill our existence with their attention," said Monica Cirinna,
the councilor behind the by-law.

"The civilization of a city can also be measured by this," she told Rome
daily Il Messaggero.
The newspaper reported that round bowls caused fish to go blind. No one at
Rome council was available to confirm this was why they were banned. Many
fish experts say round bowls provide insufficient oxygen for fish.

In July 2004, parliament passed a law setting big fines and jail terms for
people who abandon pets and since then local governments have added their
own animal welfare rules many of which will be difficult to police.

The northern city of Turin passed a law in April to fine pet owners up to
500 euros ($597.7) if they do not walk their dogs at least three times a
day.

The new Rome by-law requires owners to regularly exercise their dogs, and
bans them from docking their pets' tails for aesthetic reasons.

It also provides legal recognition for cat lovers who provide food for the
colonies of strays which live everywhere from the city's ancient Roman

ruins
to modern office car parks.

Animal rights groups estimate that around 150,000 pet dogs and 200,000

cats
are abandoned in Italy every year.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html

Hugs,