Old March 25th 04, 08:12 PM
Robyn

Lotte wrote:
Robyn --

What, specifically, do you want from the agencies you are calling?
The more specific you can be, the more they can help you. I can't
really tell from your e.mail what strategy you want to take with
these cats. Do you want someone to come and trap them, and take them
in for neutering? If so, and you're anywhere near Austin (Texas), I
can do it, just drop me an e.mail. After they are neutered, do you
want to release them, or do you want to try to get them adopted?
With ferals, if they truly *are* feral (i.e., wild as all get-out),
it's probably better to release them after they are neutuered. Once
they've gone wild, they don't make great pets, but they can survive
quite well if you'll keep feeding them.

There is a wealth of information at Alley Cat Allies' web site
(http://www.alleycat.org/) about trap-neuter-release of feral cats.
If you let me know where you're located, I may be able to put you in
touch with a local feral-friendly person who can help.

Lotte

Sorry if my email wasn't clear. I'm kind of upset at the telephone
runaround I keep getting. The cats are truly wild and hiss when
approached, even when we feed them, so I doubt they're adoptable. But I
don't mind feeding them or having them around, I just can't have them
multiplying all over everything, so I need help with the trapping and
fixing. Unfortunataly, I'm not in Texas, but south Florida, or I'd
happily take you up on your offer. My S/O suggested that maybe we can
try to at least get the females by luring them into our cat carrier, tie
a string to the door and hide or something. I think it might work
once... But what do you do with them until the vet appointment, don't
they go nuts when confined? The last cat I had fixed through a low cost
service was a 3 day wait, but he was a tame pet, so no problem.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I think the next call I make and
hear, "Well, first you have to buy a trap" or "We only help pets" I'm
going to scream...

Robyn