Old April 8th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Feline Bladder Inflamation

Suddenly, without warning, 22brix exclaimed (4/8/2008 12:54 PM):
"mc" wrote in message
We had to take Max into the veterinarian today for a recheck. This was
strictly a recheck for a seemingly minor bladder/urinary tract
infection. Upon the original visit he showed what seemed like rather
minor excessive red and white blood cells in his urine indicating an
infection.

As some of you may recall, we haven't had Max for all that long.
Almost as soon as we took him into our household he was showing signs
of a urinary blockage.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone might have.

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

You might want to ping Phil P.--he's addressed this topic several times. I
was going to try and find a link but my computer is acting up.

It can take several weeks of antibiotic treatment to take care of the
infection. The glucosamine chondroitin is supposed to help repair the
lining of the bladder. I don't remember what else--I think he also suggests
amitriptyline only for easily stressed cats (it's an antidepressant and has
some analgesic activity).

Good luck,

Bonnie

Glucosamine protects the bladder lining as well, I'm told. And Meep the
cystitis kitty will be on amitryptyline as soon as the vet gets the
stuff - it's been really hard for her to chase down a source, but I
asked her to persevere and she did - a compounding pharmacy is making us
up some pills. Here they use clomicalm instead but it's contraindicated
with my kitty since it seems to be causing some urinary retention (a
known side effect).

jmc