Old April 21st 04, 12:58 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

This has to be a hoax.

It's not. There's good evidence to suggest it may well be true.
Pumas and Lynxes are North American critters, never
found in the wild in Britain (or Ireland). I can't believe that any zoo over
there would be so careless as to lose breeding pairs, either.

Indeed they aren't natives but there was a time, not that long ago, where
private individuals were able to keep such cats. The law was altered which
meant private individuals couldn't - where & how such animals were kept became
highly regulated (rightly so IMO). As a result, before the law came into
effect, it is beleived that some private owners released their animals into the
wild rather than the animal be euthanised or end up in someone else's zoo here
in the UK or abroad.

Some years ago, when Vernon, Nathan (he'd be about six or seven at the time) &
I were out walking in local countryside, in quite tall vegetation, we *heard*
something that could only be described as a big cat growling. The hairs on the
back of my went up. We stopped and *froze*. Vernon looked at me, I looked at
him. Nathan said "What's that noise?" I said, "Oh, probably just a cow in
nearby field." Nathan responded to tell me it sounded just like a lion to him.
When we started walking again, Vernon walked in front, follwed by Nathan and I
took up the rear - we made sure our young child was between us at all times. We
also spoke very loudly... to try to make sure we didn't startle anything we may
not want to meet up with.

A lynx was spotted and filmed in someone's front garden in North London too...

Heck, we've got a few wallabies wild in Norfolk - Vernon has spotted one - and
there's been photographs now and again.

I don't think there's a lot of big cats out there, I think there's probably
very few but I have very, very grave reservations about allowing them to stay
out there.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $