Old June 25th 11, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.rescue
Bill Graham

Default Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

wrote:
On Jun 24, 6:39 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 19, 12:55 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain
number of characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats
of past passwords (like 20 passwords back, or won't allow
consesequitive letters, or common words, or anything at ALL easily
memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into the same place twice.
What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's *NY* problem,
and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't possibly be
figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are they
to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!

/password rant

I come up with passwords that mean something to me, but are not
normal names by themselves. And then I send myself an email with my
username and password hint. The hint makes perfect sense to me, so
I don't have to include the actual password. It could be a letter
and the # sign, and I know what name and number that is. It could
be old goal or new goal, and I know what that means.

At work, I keep it very simple as 3 of use the same account, and I
really doubt somebody wants to hack into the deli department
account. So I have an easy word, punctuation, and a number, and the
number goes up by a specific number every time it requires a
password change. That way, the other clerks can easily guess the
new password if they find it has changed.

I also like to answer security questions wrong, so that I know the
correct answer, but it isn't easily obvious. For example, I don't
use my sister's middle name for that question. I use somebody else;s
middle name. I don't use my first pet, etc.

Yes. Well, passwords vary in their importance. You can use simple
ones for unimportant things, but for the important stuff, it's good
to have a password that's difficult to figure out. and, it these
important ones that I would like to encode so that I can figure them
out on the spot based on the information I have rather than sheer
memory, but nobody else could. - It would be completely raqndom to
anyone who doesn't know my "system", and that way, I wouldn't have
to write anything down. My problem with writing stuff down is
twqfold, I would misplace the book and not be able to enter my own
accounts, and/or someone else would break into my house when I am
gone asnd get all my passwords out of the book. In either case, I
don't like the idea of writing therm down in a book.

This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location.
And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
they vary, and what order and what punctuation.

I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
that account is my checker number, not a word.

That would kill it for me.... I am incapable of thinking about anything for
15 minutes....:^)