Old January 24th 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Taurine supplements

On 1/24/2013 10:59 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
Last summer when I had to pill Tiger for a week (antibiotic) I would
grind the pill into a powder and mix it with Chicken of the Sea tuna
water. Tiger would clean the plate.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

(I do wish you'd quote posts, Mike. Not everyone's newsreader sorts the
same as yours.)

I'm glad Tiger liked the tuna. Persia doesn't even care for fishy
canned cat food. Like your Amber, she wants the poultry. But I don't
feed her people food.

I've had to pill Persia many times over the years. Shortly after she
first adopted me she started getting bladder infections. Then the vet
discovered a small bladder tumor. It was benign but required surgery so
yes, antibiotics were prescribed. Not even canned water packed chicken
worked then.

I learned a method of pilling her (possibly on this ng, might have been
from a vet) that worked. The key was to get her into my lap. Not a
problem, she's a lap cat. Then use one arm to hold her firmly against
your body. Gently pry open her mouth and with the other hand pop in the
pill. Then hold the jaw closed and blow a puff of air on her nose. It
causes cats to reflexively swallow. It works! The trick is being able
to hold onto the cat. LOL

Greenie's Pill Pockets work well as long as the cat doesn't catch on
there is a pill hidden inside. Oooh, a treat! But... Persia figured it
out after a couple of days and ate the "treat" around the pill.

Jill