Old April 26th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
georgepds

Default need help with diabetic cat

georgepds wrote:
My 10 year old 10 pound tuxedo (Bella, neutered male) was just
diagnosed with diabetes. ...
Rest assured, should he not improve, I'll start the course of insulin

So I took Bella in so the vet could decide the dose. The next day I get
a call.."what's with his breathing". An x-ray confirmed fluid on the
lons, and inspection of the fluid showed white blood cells. The
vet/nurse tells me it's an indication of cancer. The vet tells me there
is no point in treating the diabetes

My wife, who was distraught at how the cat would handle the vet put her
foot down, stopped further tests, and we took him home to make him
comfortable. Every morning I great him with a "so you're still among the
living". He's lethargic and , for the most part, seeks out the odd
corner to sleep. He has none of the strength that he had (years playing
the role of big strong kitty). But, he's not crying, his eyes are clear,
he manages to walk to the kitchen to greet us as we come home, and purrs
when we pet him. It's been like this since Monday. He looks better than
when he came home from the vet, but he's not well

So long as he's not in visible distress, we'll just keep him
comfortable. Damn, but I'm going to miss him if he goes. Kitty
mortality sucks, big time. It turns out, I'm ill equiped for this type
of loss.

If any of you have experience in what to do for a failing kitty, please
let me know

-george