Old April 26th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default need help with diabetic cat - URGENT

"georgepds" wrote in message
georgepds wrote:
My 10 year old 10 pound tuxedo (Bella, neutered male) was just diagnosed
with diabetes. ...
Rest assured, should he not improve, I'll start the course of insulin

So I took Bella in so the vet could decide the dose. The next day I get a
call.."what's with his breathing". An x-ray confirmed fluid on the lons,
and inspection of the fluid showed white blood cells. The vet/nurse tells
me it's an indication of cancer. The vet tells me there is no point in
treating the diabetes

My wife, who was distraught at how the cat would handle the vet put her
foot down, stopped further tests, and we took him home to make him
comfortable. Every morning I great him with a "so you're still among the
living". He's lethargic and , for the most part, seeks out the odd corner
to sleep. He has none of the strength that he had (years playing the role
of big strong kitty). But, he's not crying, his eyes are clear, he manages
to walk to the kitchen to greet us as we come home, and purrs when we pet
him. It's been like this since Monday. He looks better than when he came
home from the vet, but he's not well

So long as he's not in visible distress, we'll just keep him comfortable.
Damn, but I'm going to miss him if he goes. Kitty mortality sucks, big
time. It turns out, I'm ill equiped for this type of loss.

If any of you have experience in what to do for a failing kitty, please
let me know

-george

I am going to make a recommendation that I seldom make. That is, it is time
to take Bella back to the vet and have him put to sleep. ASAP. You are
doing your cat no favors by keeping him alive because he is obviously
already in distress. Cats are noted for being stoic and hiding pain, so a
cat that shows discomfort is already suffering.

Please let me tell you a story. Years ago, I had to have one of my cats put
to sleep. I had friends (a married couple) who were absolutely horrified.
They said they loved their cats so much that they could never do that. Some
time later, they came to me and told me how much they had regretted that
decision. Their cat had become extremely ill and was in declining health
over a period time, and this was at a time when there was no 24-hour-service
or emergency veterinary service available. They said they sat up *all night
long,* crying and crying, as they watched their cat literally drown in his
own fluids. It was agonizing. They have regretted to this very day the
fact that they did not make a decision in time to save their beloved pet
from suffering through this incredibly painful night.

Unfortunately, there are times when we must make this most painful of all
decisions in order to protect our cats. It is far better to make the
decision before the cat has to endure the type of death I just described. If
your cat has fluid on the lungs, it is likely that it will only get worse,
and it is now an act of cruelty to simply watch him die. I know you brought
him home and intended to keep him comfortable. If that were possible, then
that is what I would want to see you do, but it really is not possible. A
cat with fluid on the lungs can *suddenly* go into respiratory distress. At
that time, your cat is essentially drowning. You will have no warning, no
time to make a decision at that time to get to a vet. So, please, for the
sake of your cat, take action now.

You really do have my deepest sympathies. I have been through this, and
there is nothing more difficult or traumatic than having to make the
decision for euthanasia, but it is a final act of love (and responsibility)
on our part.

MaryL