Old January 12th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

Default cat with high cholesterol

On Jan 7, 6:19 pm, Magdalena Cano Plewinska
wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:25:17 -0600, "Chris"
wrote:

My cat Angie is 10 years old, her cholesterol should be no higher than 150,
yet it is 206 (ironically the same as mine). One year ago it was 154. One
pound gain in weight have an effect on this?

All those values are established for a fasting animal. It's normal for
blood cholesterol to go up after a meal. So unless your cat was
fasting for 8 hours (or whatever the standard is for cats) when the
blood was drawn, you can't draw too many conclusions from the
cholesterol level.

If you are sure your cat hadn't been fed for 8-12 hrs prior to the
blood draw, I would recommend bringing that to the vet's attention to
see what her next step would be. Any dietary manipulation should also
be discussed with the vet since cats aren't just furry little humans
and have different dietary requirements.

I'm not sure how close cat lipid metabolism is to human so I don't
know whether the same dietary manipulations would work to lower a
cat's cholesterol, if it was, if fact, elevated.

Good luck with your Angie,

Magda

One time one of our cats had a high cholesterol reading and our vet
said the same thing, that since it wasn't a fasting test it didn't
mean anything. This cat is not overweight and never has been. At the
next checkup it was normal again.

I believe if it were a fasting test and the cholesterol level is
consistently high there is an association with hyperthyroidism, but
with a 10 year old cat your vet is probably testing periodically for
hyperthyroidism anyway.
-yngver