Old March 10th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

Default Giving a cat a bath

In article ,
honeybunch wrote:
My cat Snappy is a domestic short haired cat but he has a very thick
soft pelt which is fine in the wintertime but in the summer it is a
bit of a problem. I brush him constantly but its never enough. He
gets hairball and is uncomfortable with the heat. I am wondering, in
advance, of the advisablility of bathing him. Would that make his fur
loss any simpler? Would that be a good idea? Ive already asked at my
local petco but they dont bath cats. I did get a positive response
from a Petco a distance from where we live. Would shaving him be
worthwhile? I think he would hate that and it might be dangerous but
would it be a good idea? and how does one give a cat a bath? He
doesnt like water splashed on him and runs if it happens
accidentally. He has gone in the shower to investigate and very
occasionally he will stare at the kitchen water tap. Would giving him
a bath in order to help with his fur fall out in the summer be a good
idea I wonder?

"I gave my cat a bath. The worst part was getting the hair off my tongue."

Steve Martin.

:^)

On a more serious note, I spoke with a volunteer from the local pound
who was bathing potential adoptees at my friendly local pet labyrinth
and she said that she used some sort of gentle Aloe shampoo that she
got at the health food store that had all natural ingredients. Her
clients seemed to tolerate the process, warm water and prompt toweling
is a must.

I'm sure that some cats will tolerate being bathed. Others will require
Kevlar gloves and/or an ambulance standing by for the attempted bather.

YMMV