Old October 12th 03, 10:21 PM
frlpwr

Cat Protector wrote:

Once again you resort to name calling? I guess you have proven my case to be
a bit true. How do you know it was not a case of animal rescue?

How do you know it was? The point is without the woman or her sister or
a friend of a friend of a friend of the sister permitting the OP to
follow up on the cats, NO ONE knows what's happened to them. You are
faulting letoured for his concern. Would you be happy if he had washed
his hands of the cats and not given them a second thought? I doubt it.

You originally stated that this building was abandoned.

He also stated that he was overseeing the property for a friend.
Abandoned real estate, especially with accessible outbuildings, makes
excellent feral cat territory.
How can you be a feral cat rescuer and not know this?

Also, why does someone need to ask your permission to remove them?

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Ted. Do you feed feral cats? How
would you feel if they started disappearing and a neighbor told you her
sister had taken them, but you can't talk to her about them and you
can't see the cats?

If you are any kind of "rescuer" at all, you would be sick with worry
and rightly so.

According to your original post they appeared to be strays or possibly a feral
colony. If they were ferals
then a rescue group or someone experienced in feral rescue could have been
called in and moved the colony to a safe haven.

What kind of feral cat rescue do you run? First of all, how many feral
cat rescue groups go around collecting well-fed and sheltered cats for
relocation? Suitable relocation sites are practically impossible to
find, even for cats in urgent need of a new place to live. Relocation
of ferals is time consuming, energy draining and often unsuccessful. It
is generally limited to cats in dire need, not a mother and kitten who
are being fed and sheltered in their own territory.

Second, feral rescuers would be unbelievably thoughtless and cruel to
remove cats without first talking to the caregiver. If you or any of
your goofy "rescuer" friends tried to remove cats from any of my
colonies, you'd have a serious fight on your hands. Who the hell are
you to move cats around like they are chess pieces?

Of course because of this issue of control

You've got a lot of nerve talking about "control" after plainly
approving of feral cat "rescuers" removing well-fed and sheltered cats
on their whim.

you assume the worse

How many times does this have to be explained to you? He assumes the
worse because he can't talk to the women who supposedly has the cats nor
can he see the cats!!!

or are mad because they didn't seem to
ask you for permission to take them.

Of course, they weren't your cats to
begin with so why would they?

Because feral cat rescuers are not heartless assholes?

Feral cats belong to no one. This doesn't mean that anyone who feels
like it should move them around for NO GOOD REASON.

I think you need to hope for the best

What are you going to suggest next? Say a little prayer? Light a
candle? He needs to see the cats and he needs to see where they are
living. I'd be pounding on the bitch's door everyday until she told me
what she did with the cats. Anything less would be irresponsible.

and if someone does step forward to say they took them, don't come down on them
like a bunch of bricks.

If it takes bricks to educate this women on the need for cooperative
feral cat management, so be it. If I was caregiver for these cats, she
would be lucky to escape with brick dust in her hair.