Old February 5th 13, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cat peeing outside box

cat182 wrote:
I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every
few days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think
he's having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the
visit. This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper
questions.

What have others experienced in this situation?

We have this problem from time to time with one or the other of our cats,
especially whan they get old. We have tried putting their cat box in the
garage, where it doesn't matter so much. Also, you can put a garage-type
drip pan under the litter box inside your house to protect the floor. (these
are usually aluminum and can be purchased in an auto supply store.) Or, put
the litter box in either the kitchen or a bathroom where the floor is
designed for water damage. A friend of mine, who had inside cats, built a
"cateo" next to his garage, and his cats could go out there through a cat
door at their pleasure.