Old February 6th 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

Default Cat peeing outside box

On 2013-02-05 06:16:31 +0000, cat182 said:

I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every few
days. I have three boxes and I keep them cleaned often. I think he's
having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the visit.
This way I can enter the Vet office armed with proper questions.

What have others experienced in this situation?

There are several other medical conditions which can cause a cat to
urinate outside the box, but the most likely suspect is a urinary tract
infection. Some of the most common causes include:

Urinary tract infection
Unclean litter box (or not clean enough for the cat's standards)
Disruption in normal routine or some added stressor in the environment

Since there are several other underlying medical conditions which can
cause this behavior it is best to consult your vet. There are routine
tests that vets will perform when owners report this problem, and
generally the first test is for UTIs.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Jesse