Old May 22nd 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default ancient domesticated cats in Peru

Bastette wrote:
Jack Campin wrote:

I hadn't heard of this until just now:
http://enperublog.com/2010/11/24/anc...500-years-ago/
Hard to guess its size from the picture, but certainly bigger than an
Old World moggy.
Do you mean the picture of bones in someone's hand?

Yep - that's a pretty big jawbone.

The article said the cats were probably pumas. They're pretty common all
through the Americas, and even more so 4000 years ago.

Judging from many of the posts here, I get the impression that
"domestic" cats in the USA tend to be somewhat larger than their
European cousins. At least folks in the UK seem to consider nine pounds
a fairly large cat, and most of mine have run closer to twelve pounds.
(And I've known several who were closer to twenty, without being obese -
including the friend's marmalade tom who'd regularly beat up the yappy
miniature poodle next-door to him.)