Old November 17th 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default OT Stupid Tech Guy or Strangers in your Home when you have Cats

On 2018-11-17 7:00 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
On 11/16/2018 1:15 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:41:13 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 11/14/2018 5:37 PM, Kitten wrote:
Every year, some things in the house get inspected, it's regulation.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about.Â* I don't have to have
anyone inspect my house.Â* I've had service people come in - three this
year, two in the last month, at my request.Â* One to service the HVAC
unit under service contract and another a plumber to repair a toilet,
also under service contract.Â* I set the appointments.Â* I have another
plumber coming on Friday to replace a faucet cartridge.

No one who comes into my house has any say about how many cats I have or
don't have.Â* Nor do they get "familiar" with me.Â* Where on earth do you
live?!

Jill

As a long time US renter, every place that I have rented I have had
the landlord come over at least annually to inspect the property for
damage. The village we live in now actually requires that landlords do
so annually.

I was a long term renter until my parents died and I inherited this
house.Â* It was written into the lease, the landlord (property management
company) reserved the right to inspect for damage or to enter the
property without permission *if* they felt there was a problem.Â* But it
wasn't a required annual inspection.

I'm sure different places have different rules and regs.Â* One thing I do
know, they all had a limit on the number of pets.Â* I paid "pet rent" to
cover possible damages.Â* In every case the lease limited the number of
pets and imposed a weight limit per pet.

When I was looking for a condo to move into, I only looked at those
which allowed pets. When I found a suitable one, they allowed only one
small pet per unit, and I negotiated an agreement with the board that I
could have two. I wasn't getting rid of one of them, or putting myself
in a position where I could get in trouble for violating the agreement.
I was surprised how many people said "Oh, just bring two. They'll never
find out." I wasn't taking a chance with it - or being so dishonest.

The board is fairly flexible, though. Some of the dogs stretch the
definition of "small animal" somewhat!

When I was renting, the landlord always had the right to enter in an
emergency, and could at other times with a certain amount of notice and
my permission - I'd read the Landlord-Tenant Act, so I knew! Not that
any of them gave me that kind of problem. It was just that business with
the insurance company safety inspector, which I suspect was at least
partly because I was living in an rundown old house in an old
neighbourhood. They got a lot stricter over the fireplace during the
years I lived there, to the point that eventually I was warned not to
use it at all because they wouldn't pay for any fire damage that
resulted. That was fair enough; I knew before they told me that it was
old and probably not up to current safety standards.

--
Cheryl