Old October 4th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail Futoran

Default Wysong vs. other Rx foods for a cat with CRF

"Artificial Silence" wrote in message
My cat was diagnosed with CRF.

He is between 7-8. He has mildly elevated creatinine levels and
kidneys that are about 10% too small.

He has eaten dry Wellness Lite for most of his life, which as many
people know, is one of the few cat foods that doesn't have by products
in it and is made with human grade ingredients.

The vet mentioned "K/D Diet" which I discovered is made by Hills,
makers of "Science Diet," about which I've heard some not-so-nice
things. Looking up the info on "K/D Diet" shows it's made with by
products:

http://www.hillspet.com/products/product_details.jsp?FOLDERfolder_id=253437430203 7389&bmUID=1159453150344&PRODUCTprd_id=845524441 760666

[snip]

When one of my cats developed CRF (around age 15), my vet prescribed Hill's
K/D. Her kidney values improved under this diet. She eventually died
(almost 19 years of age) of congestive heart failure following years
battling seizures and being on phenobarbitol.

Check out this link for dry cat food analysis:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dry.htm
There's also a canned food page:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm

There are a bunch of other CRF pages you can find. There is contradictory
information out there, so it's tough to decide when you want to do the best
for your cat.

My non-expert preference is to continue feeding elderly cats a quality
complete and balanced food, but with lower phosphorus and protein levels,
and not screw around with "supplements" or "herbal remedies" that can
potentially do more harm than good. Not only did my elderly cat's kidney
values improve, but my young cats ate the same "CRF" food for a few years
(supplemented with adult canned) to no ill effects, as far as I and my vet
can tell.

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa