Old March 28th 11, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the way through? OK, way OT, but fascinating

"jmcquown" wrote in message

wrote in message
Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

Most books that people recommend I dislike but read because I feel
dishonest
if I don't. Is not like you can say, 'I started it, but I hated it,'
when
they ask how you liked the book they lent you! LOL!

Sure you can! I mean, with some people it's probably better to be
diplomatic and say "I couldn't get into it" rather than "That was a pile
of trash, how could you even own such a book?" But IMO life's too
short to spend it reading things you don't enjoy, just so your friends
won't be offended. And even if they are, they'll get over it.

Joyce

I agree! Years ago my mother would send me books that I hated. Books by
Maeve Binchy and Jackie Collins. Sorry, but I don't read that stuff. I
finally told her to stop sending me those books. She didn't mind. She
appreciated my honesty.

I remember being very insulted by a guy where I worked. (I didn't work
*with* him, his office was in the same building.) I was sitting outside
on my break reading. Just to strike up conversation he said, "Romance
novel?" Oh, this is soooo not the right way to start a conversation with
me! Romance novel? Excuse me? Please don't assume because I'm a woman
the only thing I read is romance novels!

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Jill

LOL! Good answer, true or not.

Joy