Old March 29th 11, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]

Default Which books did you hate that you still read all the waythrough? OK, way OT, but fascinating

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
tanadashoes wrote:

On 3/28/2011 2:18 PM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Lesley wrote:

On Mar 27, 7:30 am, wrote:

I told him no, I prefer something where someone gets killed in the first
couple of chapters.

Ali, came in one day and said "Are you having lunch?" (what was the
giveaway? The half eaten sandwich? The cup of tea? The fact I was
reading a book?) so I said I was but what could I do for her anyway?
(sandwiches don't go cold after all) and she said "What's the
book?" (She's a big reader) so I showed her....

Note to self: People will think you are weird if your idea of
lunchtime reading is "Current Methods of Autopsy Practice" (I'm
fascinated by forensic medicine and our hospital library has a good
selection)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

There used to be book covers you could buy that were conversation
staters/stoppers. They were mockups of fake books to hide the one you were
reading - useful for public transportation, I guess.

There is one type of book I avoid like the plague, these are the Reader's
Digest condensed versions. Has anyone read any of these? Yech!

*R* *H*

In defense of RDCB, they are perfect for those families that have very
limited budgets. Growing up, I discovered some of my favorite authors
via Readers Digest Condensed Books. These were authors that we
ordinarily wouldn't have checked out. RDCB are also great for those
families that are isolated (we lived over 9 miles from the nearest town,
which still has a very limited library) or are in an area with limited
services.

Some authors read better in the condensed versions, like James Mitchner
or Leon Uris, who are both excellent authors but in love with their words.

Pam S.

I've read but one or two of them, when I was a teenager (I guess I was REAL
bored). One was a book about a girl who becomes a nun. I guess it was a
pretty popular novel at the time (60's or 70's). Can't say it was the worst
thing I've ever read, but I did notice a number of loose plot points, thanks
to the condensation!

*R* *H*