Old October 14th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kitkat

Default Luna is under the weather :(

When it rains, it pours, eh?

Just 2 nights ago, when I got home and was hanging out with Luna, that
she was sorta sniffling...and she shook her head like something was
bothering her in her nose. I honestly didn't make anything of it and
since it was later in the evening, I went to bed and didn't give it much
more thought. Had another long day yesterday and got home with Tim
around 10pm. Right away, I noticed she did the sniffle thing again and
then sneezed. I thought, well, that's odd. Luna never does that. So, I
was about to mention it to Tim and tell him to listen for it and sure
enough, Luna does it again. The sniffle then the sneeze. Then she
started licking her paw and rubbing it on her face like she was trying
to cure an itch or get something out of her nasal passages or something!
She seemed less than enthused that we were home. Usually she wants to
play when we arrive home! Tim was a little surprised by it, too. Over
time, she continued to do the sniffle/sneeze/rub her face/lick her chops
routine. So I decided I'd call the vet in the morning. Did just that
when I woke up and they had me bring her right in.

She had no fever and nothing felt wrong as the vet palpated her organs.
However, she lost about 1/2 of a pound and for Luna, that is A LOT
because she only weighs a little over 6lbs to begin with. Also, her gums
looked a little pale.

So, the vet took a blood and urine sample and is running tests. She'll
have results on Monday. In the meanwhile, I am just to observe her. She
didn't want to put Luna on an antibiotic yet because she had no fever.
She wants to wait until the results come back from those tests and go
from there. She is concerned there is something else going on due to the
weight loss and the gums. I know she needs a dental and I have to be
honest, I have put it off. We were dealing with Dudley all this time and
the whole dental thing scares me. I know it needs to be done. Ugh. Why
didn't I do it sooner!?!!

She is still eating and drinking and somewhat playful if we really
engage her. She just seems a little more subdued.

Please think good thoughts for my baby girl!!! I can't go thru sick
kitty stuff again SO soon! It has only been just over a month since
Dudley died!!!

thanks RPCHB!
Pam