Old June 25th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catlady

Default Pain medication for cats?

On Jun 25, 1:19*pm, jigo wrote:
My previous cat was 18 and in obvious pain toward the end. *The vet said
he could not use morphine or other pain medicine because cats might have
a bad reaction. Other books I've read said that they can be used in
cats. Does anyone know who is right? My previous vet used low doses of
aspirin (which is toxic to cats in higher doses). It seems that there
must be some strong medicine for cats in severe pain.

Buprenorphine (Buprenex) is the current drug of choice for pain relief
in cats. It can be given orally, but must be applied directly on the
inside of the cheek pouch so it is absorbed transmucosally. If the cat
swallows it it won't work. Ideally, owners shoud be taught to give it
as a sub q shot using an insulin needle. That way it is certain the
cat will get the entire dose.