Old June 6th 05, 06:15 AM

I have a 12 month old female (and two siblings) who I found at two
months old. This cat has herpes and gingivitis (or some tooth problem).
Recently, she started peeing outside of her litter box (twice a day)
and I can't figure out why. She has been to the vet and a UTI (or
similar) has been ruled out.

Sometimes she will go look/sniff around the litterbox, get in the
litterbox, and then leave the area and goes play. It's almost like
something isn't right to her. The litter boxes are always kept clean
and she urinates out of the box even when fresh litter is in them. When
she pees on the floor, I always clean it with a special enzyme cleaner
such as Nature's Miracle.

The vet doesn't want to do any blood tests right yet because she
doesn't want to stress out this cat right now because of her URI. She
wants to try a few other things first.

So far we think the urinating may be due to one or more of the
following:
tooth/gum pain
post-nasal drip
sore throat
nasal congestion
possible constipation
possible stomach acid

Nothing in her living conditions has changed like a new food or new
routine. Right now her and her two siblings are confined to a room as
part of introducing them to the resident cat. They've been in the room
for several weeks and have met the old cat and they all like him.
However, the resident cat is afraid of them and will hiss if they get
too close but has never attacked them. I do let them all out together
for a few hours each day but I make sure to supervise them all.

She does have problems (URI) and several symptoms due to that such as:
tooth/gum pain, post-nasal drip, nasal congestion, watery eyes and
underdevelopment. Some of her adult teeth haven't grown in and some of
her kitten teeth are still there. The vet thinks that these adult teeth
will never grow in and the remaining teeth will fall out or have to be
pulled out. Her gums are red and inflamed and I believe they hurt her.
She puts up a huge fight and meows when anyone tries to look in her
mouth. Her lower jaws seems to be underdeveloped (or receding). All the
cats have been tested for FeLV/FIV and are negative. No one did any
testing for FIP as I guess that's fairly uncommon (?). Her two siblings
are in fairly good health. Though, one sibling did die at around two
months old from what appeared to be a bacterial infection and/or
possibly pneumonia.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

I thought I'd give a little update since I have nothing else better to
do

The cat has been on an antihistamine (1 mg of Chlorpheniramine Maleate
once a day) for three or four days now. It was either the night or
night after I started giving it to her that she started urinating
somewhere else. She now goes in the bathtub. I guess that's better than
on the bathroom floor but it's still not acceptable. I did see her use
her litter box once yesterday.

Maybe tomorrow she'll start going in the toilet. That would be nice.