Old October 21st 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

Default Cat swollowed ribbon - what to do

dgk wrote:
NOT MY CAT. I'd already be at the vet. This is a friend (Pat) who has
very little money and knows that she might have a lot less soon.

Timmy (male dsh ~20 lbs but big, not fat) swollowed a ribbon -
supposedly paper that will dissolve - two days ago. So far he has been
fine, but Pat says that he has stoppped pooping. There was just a
little poop since Sunday night. It's now Tuesday morning. My vet's
people said the cat really has to come in.

So, I promised Pat that I'd ask in the newsgroup. What to do?

My take: If the cat doesn't poop by the time she comes home, he has to
go to the vet. If he's acting normal, perhaps it can wait until
Wednesday morning so at least he goes to the regular vet instead of
the emergency$$$ vet. At best, they squeeze Timmy and tell Pat that he
isn't backed up and to wait a bit more. At worst they cut him open.

Anyone think otherwise?

butter and cheese will loosen his bowels so she could try that, but off
to the vet is the safest option.