Old March 30th 11, 12:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
nobody

Default When should I put my cat down?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:54:27 +1300, Brian wrote:

My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.

The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
problem.
He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
appeared on his ear again after the second operation.

The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.

The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
weight.

Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
until his health is worst before considering putting him down?

Advice from others would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Brian,

You're likely close to needing to make a decision. I've been through
this before and it's never easy making that decision. No matter what
you decide, you will probably second guess yourself (did I wait to
long or not long enough?). As the other poster said, you will know
when it's time and as long he is enjoying life and not in obvious
distress, just enjoy having him around. Best of luck to you.