Old April 18th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady

Default Update - melamine in Natural Balance food - more products pulled

USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...t-food-recalle
d_N.htm
But Natural Balance doesn’t use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in
a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. “That was the only change in the
product,” he says.

Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

There is no rice protein concentrate listed on the bag of dry NB dog food.
There IS ground rice though (At least there wasn't last weekend - reports
are they may have changed it on the web.) . And there's that 6 month lag in
changing labeling after the forumla is changed. There is NO rice in the dry
cat food. When they described their catfood they said Whole pea, but in the
ingredients it said pea. Pea powder is available.

One word of caution. South Africa has been having problems with their pet
food also. They had antifreeze contamination of Woolworth brand dry food in
Feb-March. (But you know, from what I read they had to test the food twice
to find antifreeze. Now I wonder if it didn't have melamine also.) A
number of days ago Royal Canin pulled their large breed Puppy formula due to
vomiting and kidney problems. I think they have now pulled all their
products but don't remember.

There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same as gluten)
in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is corn gluten. I'm hoping
in a couple of days they'll have a report on the food. My guess is they'll
find melamine.

So all I can say is buyer beware. Gluten gluten who's got the gluten. Call
your company. Find out; where their products come from. Ask them if
they've had a formula change lately. Demand they get on the ball and quit
changing food without changing the label. Meanwhile go buy a book on how to
prepare your own pet food. At this rate it will come in handy.

way beyond disgust......
buglady
take out the dog before replying