Old April 18th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sandy McDermin

Default Update - melamine in Natural Balance food - more products pulled

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Sandy McDermin" wrote in message
Since I can't read the miniscule print on the back of cat food cans, this

is
what Petfood Direct says is the ingredient list on the back of the CANNED
Venison and Pea cat food:

Ingredients:
Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon

Oil,
Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate,
Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries,
Yucca
Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron

Sulfate,Vitamin
E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement,
Sodium
Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium
Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A
Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Supplement,
Vitamin B12.

I'm not a scientist, but is any of this rice gluten?

.........go to natural balance website - they've CHANGED all the
ingredients
to reflect what's in it. Who knows WHEN they did it.
www.naturalbalanceinc.com I think the website now says rice protein
concentrate for all those they recalled. They are claiming it's only the
last and latest batch that was affected, but they're recalling all cans of
those types. At least they know how to cover their a**es when the barn
door's open.
You'll have to CALL them, give them your UPC code and ask them WHAT was in
that batch. The phones may be a bit busy, to say the least.........

For pesticides the LABEL is the LAW. For pet food the LABEL is a LIE.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I still don't see rice in it:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...d.html#Venison

You know, even if I put this out in a bowl for them, they wouldn't eat it.
They hate all this natural catfood and I'm really finding it hard to replace
some of the things that are being recalled. Fortunately, they love Fancy
Feast. What about Whiskas? Is that okay? I was looking at Sheba the other
day and it says that it's only a supplement. You can't feed your cat on it.
I guess because it has none of those added nutritional ingredients that are
killing the animals.

Just kidding. I know there is a difference between gluten and vitamin
enrichment or taurine.

Sandy