Old October 8th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Default new cat owner, strange cat behaviour...HELP!!

Hi Sarah,

I think too that she could have a urinary infection. Cats start peeing
on softer things or in different areas when it hurts to pee.

Our vet said that cats changing homes is one of the causes of urinary
infections. It is because of the stress and also because they hold their
pee longer when they're afraid to come out and use the litter box.

As for the pills, one thing we've done is get a yummy treat, like meat
baby food (make sure there are no onions in it,) and mix a smashed pill
into. Many medicines come in liquid form and can be mixed in the food.
We use a treat like baby food and don't give them too much so we are
sure they will eat the entire thing.

If all else fails, the vet might be able to recommend a pharmacy that
compounds the medicine. We did that for one very stubborn cat who could
tell if there was a drop of medicine in anything. The pharmacy mixed the
antibiotic into a chicken gravy flavor and it worked!

There are also things called "Pill Pockets" usually at PetCo or Pet
Smart. They are soft treats with a hole in the middle to insert the
pill. They are very expensive, something like $8 for a smallish bag, but
they have worked a couple of times on our cats. After a few times
though, the cats have caught on.

Good luck, and it was nice of you to take in this cat.

Rhonda

sjcoles wrote:

She's also recently become re-afraid of my mom, and even runs from me
sometimes. She has remained VERY vocal, using sounds that make me think she
needs/wants something, meowing throughout the night, and generally in the
morning when I'm getting ready for work. She doesn't seem to want to play as
much as before, although she never really was a big "player". I find that
she eats the majority of her food at night, and if she goes to during the day,
sometimes she stares at it first, or stares and then walks away.