Old October 10th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default new cat owner, strange cat behaviour...HELP!!

"She Devil" wrote in message
oups.com...
A lot of people have suggested having the cat checked for a UTI
(urinary tract infection) and I don't disagree. However, if the cat
does not have a UTI, it's not that unusual that a stressed or unhappy
cat will start urinating on places it oughtnt, and beds are not
uncommon targets.

Our Charlie is a stressy kitty, and he started urinating on our bed the
first time we went away for more than an overnight. In fact, after we
got home, we were laying on the bed and he hopped up on the bed and
tinkled away right in front of us.

When we, with heavy hearts, banished him and his 'sister' Lucy from the
bedroom (because nothing stopped it once he'd started), he took to
urinating on the couches instead.

Every trip to the vet and test showed *no* UTI.

Of course, once they've urinated on something which is in any way
porous - and especially something like a bed or couch - no amount of
Nature's Miracle, Anti-Icky Poo, or flame throwers is going to
completely remove the odor. Oh, *you* may not smell it, but *they*
will, and it's license to continue going there.

In our case we finally got rid of the couches (sigh), and the cats are
still banned from the bedroom. Other than that, we all live in
harmony.

Quite true, as our Boo uses her bladder to, err, "express" herself as well,
and has never had a UTI. She has to stay on the first floor, and still goes
on the rug down there at times.

The first time she peed inappropriately is when we were washing bedclothes
and kept shooing her off the naked mattress. (She has black fur and sheds
like mad.) She waited until we had the whole bed made up, fresh duvet
cover, sheets, everything, and until my husband got INTO bed then
peed on top of the duvet that was on top of him.

First thing in the morning I hauled her in to the vet, howling all the way.
No UTI. She was clearly just "p*ssed off" and expressing her displeasure.

After that it was a certain corner in the living room whenever we displeased
her, and, once, ON a plastic grocery bag full of canned cat food that lay
on the kitchen floor waiting to be unpacked one evening when she decided
we had not fed her soon enough. Again, we took her to the vet, and every
time, no UTI. And, just like with Charlie, the only way to keep her from
doing it again is to keep her out of the places where she peed.