Old December 7th 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

Default Hairballs - pumpkin - taste

"Rene S." wrote in
@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Ken,

IMO I would avoid feeding that much tuna. A tidbit every now
and
then is ok, but that amount could cause long-term health

problems.

That's what Google says too.

Can she tolerate those "hairball treats?" Lots of cats like

them. You
feed 3-5 pieces or so per day.

Same active ingredient as Laxatone, at least those I've
checked. That doesn't agree with her.

I am surprised that Metamucil (psylium fiber) does not work,

since
it's designed to bulk up the stool similar to the pumpkin.

How long
did you try this?

A month. Daily. Most of the time I included a tsp of pumpkin
with it. No
help.

Will she eat any other kind of squash, such as (plain) acorn

or
butternut? Pumpkin is in the squash family so these should

work also.

I don't like squash and I've never seen it canned - so no.
Might try baking one once just for her just to see if it works.
I suspect not.

I don't know of any other treatment, except for regular

brushing and
Petrolmalt.

Petromalt has the Laxatone ingredient? - petrolatum or
something like that? She gets groomed daily. Short hair cat.

Rene

Ken