Old June 23rd 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Can kneading be a sign of pain or unhappiness?

"Lenny J." wrote in message
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've asked the same question.
I think like others that she is trying to comfort herself. It could be pain
or just generally not feeling well.

A poster here long ago posted a long list of things to tell you it's time
for them to go. Lyn. She's posted here recently, but not often. She
basically said to list the things that used to make your cat happy and
content, and when the list gets down to one or zero, it might be time. I
wish I could quote it directly but I can't find it.