Old April 24th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Need opinions - Scared for Sneezy

"cybercat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

I once adopted a cat by accident. I was out jogging (getting ready for a
Navy PRT) and found this poor little ball of fluff along the roadside.
This was in Universal City TX, an outskirt of San Antonio.

(snips)

It was in the end, an excellent deal ;-)

Well this just made me cry. Good for you. I want to see pictures and hear
more stories.

Smile, this was many years ago and predates digital cameras. I am just a
month shy of 48 now and I was 23 then. I guess he was my first 'rescue pet'
but then, all of them have been even if 2 were kittens when I rescued them.

Bobby grew on to be a lovely cat. He was bigger than expected. See, it
turned out part of the reason for the dropper feedings, is he wasnt weened
yet. I did not know this as he was pretty big, call it 5 lbs or so? Memory
dims but he was more than a tiny handful. Bloody but not tiny. Not full
grown looking either.

As he got glossy and healthy, the cast was taken down in various stages and
he was carted to work and back in a box. I didnt have fancy money left for
a real carrier. So, a bunch of the guys at work got together and built one.
It may not have been much by today's fancy standards, but it was roomy and
warm and he rather liked to use it as a scatching post once his limbs healed
well enough to do that.

Bobby grew up in various sailors laps in a mainframe computer room. Gosh,
he'd eat and eat and eat! Got to be huge but still seemed to be a little
underweight when the vet weighed him in at 20 lbs. He was still a gangly
looking youngster then. Once he filled out, he was between 35-40 lbs which
is bigger than his mixed breed should be, but then, no one knows who the
'papa' was.

See, the vet smiled when I named him Bobby... I wasnt to find out why for
several months. Common to the area, bobcats often breed with ferals, and
Bobby was of such a union.

There's a farm about 40-50 miles north of the outer San Antonio loop who had
a lady allergic to dogs and a man who loved big ones. When I was
transferred to Hawaii, Bobby stayed there til he died about age 16 or so. I
got xmas cards every year from them with pictures of him and his kittens
(first cat, never had had him 'fixed).

Hence, Bobby the bobcat entered and left my life. Never to be forgotten.
Yes, I know it sounds to fantastical to be true. I look back and shake my
head and go, gee, it doesnt sound very real does it?' It is though. Every
bit of it.