Old March 11th 13, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Tweed - OT chickens

On 3/10/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I wouldn't mind being a chicken-sitter, but I'd be reluctant unless they
were very nearby (like next door) because of the terrible daytime fox
problem we have. I'd hate it if my clients got home to find all their
chickens were ex-chickens.

In the last few weeks a fox has entered a house and eaten the finger off a
month old baby. Add this to a couple of years ago another fox went into a
house and did some severe facial damage to baby twins. There is now a call
for a cull of foxes in London.
Once upon a time, before some of the nature programmes on the telly that
encourage people to feed them, foxes were afraid of humans and only roamed
around during the night - which is how it should be IMO.
Tweed

~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Tweed. Your message came through this time. We do have a lot
of pet sitters, but chicken sitters are rather unusual. I have a friend
who was hospitalized for several weeks in December. She has cats, a
dog, horses, two burros, chickens and a few ducks. Luckily, someone who
lives near her was able to take care of all the "critters" while she was
ill.

Your description of problems with foxes is why I think we should not
feed wild animals. I love to look at them, but feeding them destroys
their fear of humans. That, in turn, becomes a danger both to humans
and to the animals who have lost their fear.

MaryL

There are signs all over the island where I live (by the many stocked
ponds). "Do Not Feed the Alligators!". My mom told me when they first
started building homesites here (@30 years ago) people thought they were
quaint. Then dogs started going missing. Now, of course, the
Association has strict leash laws.

Jill